Out of tune(probably an argument, here)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 21:32:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/05/04 8:36:42 PM, john@formsmapiano.com writes:

<< I've got a good piano teacher with a Steinway B. She complains

occasionally about some notes sounding "dead." They are the unisons

perfectly in tune.

But...when I tune the piano (all unisons in perfect tune), she comments

about how I've "put the resonance back and it sounds really good." >>

Yeah I hear you.. :-)
 Doesn't make sense some times but there it is.........We must remember that
tuning is more of an art than a science even though some very strict
principles apply. But since the pianos thingees we work on don't know those principles
and tend to make the sounds they want to make we must turn into artists to get
the maximum out of any given instrument.

 Ed spoke once of a 'palette' of tunings to use and having a larger palette
gives us a broader range with which to satisfy our customers
(paraphrase)............... One technique doesn't work in painting masterpieces and one
technique, or pallette, doesn't work in tuning.
 Just imagine if Renoir had only one shade of blue and one shade of yellow to
use in his painting...be pretty dull huh? :-)

 After all is said and done it is perception and not facts that count in
whether a tuning is a 'good' one.......go figure!! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)