What Is Wrong With These Notes?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 06:41:10 -0400

Vinny,

You need to know if the problem is in the tone the strings actually
produce, or in the way the hammer hits the string.  You can determine
this by plucking the strings of A5, A#5 and B5 with a fingernail and
comparing the sound with surrounding notes that normally sound okay.  If
they sound fine when plucking, then the problem is not structural in
nature (bearing, bridge, etc.) but in the action.

If they sound poorly even when plucking, then I think Mick's suggestions
are on the right track.  If they are the last notes at the end of a
bridge, check carefully to see if the bridge might be coming unglued, or
if there are breaks or cracks at the bridge pin, etc.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger