Ronsen Hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 12:04:25 EDT

     Hi Ray
   Thanks. Good post & thanks for the clear  mission statement & philosophy..
Maybe next time you could give us your thoughts on tension & compression.
  Dale
Hello,

Dale Erwin asked me to post information to this list in order to clarify some
comments that have been made about our hammers in these tech discussions. So,
for anyone who is interested, here is some information, and I will try to not
make this a Ronsen commercial.

We don't call our hammers "cold pressed" because we do use some heat to cure
the glue. The heat stays on for 30 minutes, at which point it is turned off,
and the set is left in the press for an additional 2 hours & 30 minutes. So, I
guess you could say we have "slow-pressed" hammers.We have experimented with
heat, and true cold pressed hammers, and feel that our method gives the same
result as a cold pressed hammer. We do pre- press now, but use no heat in that
process. We also use hand presses, not hydraulic presses.

We manufacture hammers this way because our goal is to make hammers similar
to those produced in this country in the 1920's. In talking with technicians
over the years, especially Willis Snyder,we have often heard about the beautiful
sounding pianos produced in the 20's, and the properties of the hammers in
those pianos. As the industry changed, and most of our business was for
rebuilders instead of manufacturers, we decided to try to produce that type of hammer,
which meant re-learning how to make hammers. Discussions with my father
Marty, who was the foreman at Pfriemer Piano Hammer before starting Ronsen, got us
going in this direction. We continue to make changes to improve the quality of
our hammers, including, thanks to Andre Oorebeek and Serge Harel, the
addition of Wurzen felt to our inventory. Other manufacturers have also worked to
improve the quality of their hammers. Like you, we manufacturers also take pride
in our work. We at Ronsen know that most technicians today prefer the harder
hammers, but we are happy with our niche in the industry. If you have any
questions or comments, I can be reached at ray@ronsen-hammer.com Thank you.

Ray Negron