Rotating pinblock

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 13:06:14 EDT

Hi List, Just want your opinion on a problem that I am having with a certain
brand of pianos.  There are several that I am servicing of the same brand that
do not use a plate bushing.  Several months after shipment from the
manufacturer I have noticed that the tuning pins have moved forward in the plate holes
to the point of the pins touching the front of the tuning pin holes in the
plate.  The pins have now rotated to the point that most of them are no longer
slanting back (7degrees) but are now either straight up and down or actually
tilting forward having pivoted on the front of the plate hole.  The manufacturer
says that "most techs don't think this is a problem."  This situation is also
accompanied by very noticeable tuning instability. I happen to think that this
is a great problem and have told them so.  What do you think? TP