Transportation / OT?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 12:59:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Carl Teplitski <koko99@shaw.ca> wrote:
> At the risk of sounding like a " doomsday preacher,"
> here is my view on the price of gas in North
> America.
>
> If an electric car was available today, we could
> only work in a small
> area, because the batteries would need to be
> recharged for longer trips.

Technology is only part of the problem. Most of it is
societal. We had it right with trolley cars, trains,
boats and bicycles, IMHO. This is the only time in all
of human history that people have lived 50 miles from
where they work, and don't know their neighbors. It is
emotionally sterile, de-humanizing, egregiously
wasteful and utterly insane!
     As gas becomes scarcer, people will return to the
model of securing their existence within a smaller
perimeter. They will walk and take mass transit. They
will grow food in gardens, some on roofs. They will
use grid-intertied renewable energy systems such as
solar panels and wind tubines. They will diversify
their activities to include a wide spectrum of
survival tools.
     The 100 year petroleum orgy is coming to a close,
folks! Adapt to it, or suffer!
     Thump