Lurker response

David Chadwick Chadwick61@msn.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 19:06:23 -0700

ed the discussions but un-subscribed for two reasons. I don't spend a lot=
 of time on the internet so whenever I logged-on my "in box" would take t=
oo much time to sort out the junk, personal and Tech-list. The other reas=
on is that following the message thread can sometimes be annoying. Whenev=
er personality clashes or religious discussions have heated up the forum,=
 the folks who enjoy discussing piano related topics usually stop posting=
 for a while until the dust settles and the demeanor of the group changes=
 =20

Now, I go straight to the Archive and select the month's discussions by s=
electing the "subject". I can see what topics are being bantered and how =
heated the discussions are by the number of participants involved. I have=
 wanted to chime in occasionally but I feel that because I am not a subsc=
ribed member my comments shouldn't rate merit on the playing field. =20

For my infrequent visit's to the list I enjoy most of the material and ev=
eryone involved in it. I keep it that way by avoiding discussions that ar=
e off topic, opinionated and loathe. =20

David Chadwick RPT

>Trent Lesher wrote:
>
>...not that I am an established, credentialed member of this list nor ha=
ve =20
>I necessarily felt welcomed into the fold ...

I don't mean to put Trent on the spot or single him out, but I thought I =20
would use this post as a jumping off point.  Since there has been discuss=
ion
of late on appropriate posts to pianotech, an alternative forum, etc., I =
thought
it might be a good time to get some feedback (especially from those who r=
arely
or never post) about what makes people feel welcome on the list or feel t=
hat they
are 'qualified' to make a post.  There are several hundred people subscri=
bed to this
list, but only a small percentage of them post.  I've seen a few posts la=
tely from
people who don't often post, about not feeling credentialed, not knowing =
the secret
handshake, etc.  What would make those of you who don't feel credentialed=
, and
who perhaps know as much or more than those who frequently post, feel cre=
dentialed?
Any lurkers out there care to comment?

Phil Ford