Rotating pinblock

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 21:17:12 -0800

Seven degrees is a bit much, isn't it?

As may be, some pianos seem to have been designed this way. The way some
pinblocks are made they are not strong enough to support the pins directly.
The pins lean forward until they rest against the plate.

I did a small piece on this in the Journal several yeas back. November 1999.

Del

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Topperpiano@aol.com
  Sent: May 11, 2004 9:06 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Rotating pinblock

  Hi List, Just want your opinion on a problem that I am having with a
certain brand of pianos.  There are several that I am servicing of the same
brand that do not use a plate bushing.  Several months after shipment from
the manufacturer I have noticed that the tuning pins have moved forward in
the plate holes to the point of the pins touching the front of the tuning
pin holes in the plate.  The pins have now rotated to the point that most of
them are no longer slanting back (7degrees) but are now either straight up
and down or actually tilting forward having pivoted on the front of the
plate hole.  The manufacturer says that "most techs don't think this is a
problem."  This situation is also accompanied by very noticeable tuning
instability. I happen to think that this is a great problem and have told
them so.  What do you think? TP