Adjusting grand hammer positions on shanks

Gordon Holley gwholley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 12:21:03 -0500

Thanks David.  The alignment changes are both leaning a smidgen too far =
right or left and also I've got a couple where the tail needs to be =
pulled back slightly for a better alignment with the other tails.  I =
believe your descriptive procedures gives me enough to work with.  I'm =
most grateful.
Regards, Gordon Holley
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 9:58 AM
  Subject: RE: Adjusting grand hammer positions on shanks

  What kind of alignment change?  If the hammers are leaning one way or =
the other then you can heat the shank and twist the hammer slightly in =
the direction you want it to end up which will put a permanent twist in =
the shank when it cools (known as "burning the shank" even though you =
actually just heat them and don't burn them).  This can be done with an =
alcohol lamp or heat gun, or butane lighter in a pinch.  If the hammers =
are to be moved in or out on the shank, you must heat the glue joint, =
pull the hammer off, clean off the old glue and reglue at the proper =
position.  Hide glue softens easily when heated so keep the heat gun =
cool enough that you don't burn the felt or the wood. =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----=20