My rave regarding the list

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:46:20 -0700

Hello all,
I am encouraged and appreciative regarding my reminiscence of the early =
days of the list.  I wasn't here at the VERY beginning but the list was =
still quite young, sometime in 1997 I think.   I think it's smaller size =
back then was what made it work.  There are just too many now for that =
chummy feeling.  My first impression that things were changing here was =
when Jim Coleman Sr. left.  Then one by one others disappeared and =
finally Newton passed on.  The "OT" arguments heated up.  It's never =
been the same since.  Those who go back that far know what I mean.

So... the idea of a moderated-unmoderated version of the list sounds =
somewhat appealing although I still don't think it will be the same.  =
There are just too darn many people on the list and it's getting crowded =
in here.  I think what really needs to happen is the creation of a new =
venue started from scratch.  I have been contemplating maybe a Yahoo =
group or some such thing.  These are free, relatively easy to set up, =
and they have offer some control in that optional restrictions can be =
set on who and how many is allowed to join.  Perhaps a waiting list in =
which once it reaches a certain capacity new members will only be =
admitted when someone else leaves.  It also allows downloading pictures, =
transferring of files, a private live chat room, and a separate free =
e-mail account that won't clog your main home account with hundreds of =
posts every day.

Anyone have any interest in this kind of list?  Feedback please.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV