Business Doldrums ...and finding help

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 09:29:06 EDT

Over the years I have hired people to work in my shop.  I got pretty good at
training people to do action work.  You just have to break down the steps to
manageable, understandable elements like polishing capstans and front pins,
cleaning parts, bushing keys, etc. I left the more complicated stuff like
drilling a set of hammers or hanging them for myself.  I did manage to train one gal
who had been a housekeeper at a hotel (making minimum wage) to do very basic
regulating and paid her double what she had been making. Stay at home Moms and
retirees like to do something and are really flexible with their hours in that
they don't really want full time jobs.  In my area we have lost several
active techs for various reasons and I am really covered up.  The dealer that I
work for two days a week (because he sells very high end pianos and gives me
total control over what I do to prep them) was making demands that exceeded my
time so I am training a less experienced tech who had not had the chance to train
on high end pianos.  The deal that I have worked out with the tech and the
dealer is that he comes in one day a week and I supervise his tuning and
regulating work.  He works for free and I get paid my usual rate while I
supervise/teach him and also work on other pianos.  In exchange for the new tech's work
the store and I give him the lower end work (and take no cut) that I don't want
to do.  The new tech has had a giant jump in his business, gets trained and I
don't have to try to beg off on older uprights and spinets. The dealer gets
more work done for the same money and is also developing a good relationship
with another tech who can fill in for me when I have other obligations.  I expect
that this arrangement will stick through the summer when things are slow and
we'll return to our normal working arrangements when things pick up in the
fall.  By the way I don't see the business slowing down at all.  In fact I think
that this particular dealer's business has picked up considerably in the last
6 months. TP