Criticisms of the new pianotechs forum

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Thu, 13 May 2004 10:41:37 -0700

From: Hechler Family=20
To: Rob Goodale ; Pianotech=20
Subject: Re: <<FLASH>> Pianotechs forum is ON THE AIR!!

> Anyone that signs up for this is just asking for trouble. So far the =
sake of checking it out, here is what I found to be     > rude, and just =
> plain irritating.
>
> On the evil register:
> - Since I have an established email address which is on all my =
business cards, I'm not switching email addresses. (strike 1)

This has nothing to do with your current e-mail address.  As part of the =
service Yahoo gives you a second free address.  You can use it or not, =
it's only a bonus benefit.

> - For "recalling your password", they want your birth date. That's =
invasion of your privacy plain and simple.  (strike 2)
That information is required in the event that you forget your pass =
word.  In such cases they will ask for your birth date and a code word, =
(i.e. pet's name, favorite ice cream, etc).  Then your pass word will be =
e-mailed to you at your normal e-mail address.

> - And why do I need to "customize Yahoo" in this manner. I did not try =
it but I'm sure you have to answer with something - even  > though it =
made be made up (strike 3)
See above.

> On the pianotech forum page:
> - You have to put up with an advertising box (talk about wasting =
bandwidth) (strike 4)
That's why it's free.  The advertisement is typically small, out of the =
way, and easy to ignore.  Why are people so concerned about "wasting =
band width"?  Is it some sort of natural resource like trees or oil that =
we will run out of?

> - You have to put up with "Yahoo! Sponsored Links" (talk about wasting =
bandwidth) (strike 5)
See above.

> After 3 strikes, I was done - not for me !
It's free and it's optional

> - I can not force myself to sign up for something that is not needed.

The forum was created as an alternative and provides services currently =
not available on pianotech such as allowing participants to post =
unlimited quantities of pictures in albums, spontaneous chat, (including =
voice), directly connected to the forum, exchanging files, creating =
poles, and so on.   As to whether or not it is needed that will be of =
the opinions of those who choose to use it.

I would hope that eventually we could develop an entirely independent =
domain not tied to a service like Yahoo but right now this is what we =
have to work with.  This is largely in the experimental stage right now. =
 It will either become a major success that will be the topic of =
discussion during lunch at PTG conventions, or it will die and fade =
away.  It's success is dependent on the enthusiasm of the group.  It is =
not intended to REPLACE pianotech.  It is an alternative to it.  You can =
be on pianotech, this new forum, both, or neither.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV