Renner repetition springs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 May 2004 12:41:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

David Love queried:
>The issue of how tight the balancier pinning should be has come up in the
>past but not, to my recollection, been quantified.  The resistance should
>be greater than the hammer flange and it should not exhibit totally free
>movement.  An argument can be made that with tighter pinning in the
>balancier you can increase the tension in the repetition spring and you
>will get smoother and more predictable return without the hammer
>jumping.  Some years ago I seem  to recall Rick Baldassin saying that he
>routinely repinned the balancier on a new wippen with a pin one size
>larger in order to improve repetition.  Does anyone out there actually
>measure the resistance on the balancier and repin for a specific target?
>
>David Love

Dave Porritt responded:
>When I'm doing a real performance regulation I like to have the balancier
>pinned to somewhere between 6 - 8 grams measured at the drop screw contact
>point with spring disengaged.  I think it makes a lot of difference.
>
>dave

and Topperpiano added:
>I have always been pretty careful to have the rep lever pinned also
>somewhere between 6-7 grams.  Pinning of course if a whole "nuther"
>subject but consistency is the key.  If the rep is too fast then the
>spring naturally gets regulated to a more weak position, and on Steinway
>whippens affects the jack return ability.  If the spring is too weak the
>jack is slow.  In my experience the only way to get better repetition is
>to increase the friction of the rep pinning........TP

In the not too distant past, if I bought what I considered to be good
quality parts (the subject line says Renner), I would just put them
on.  These days, I generally check all pins, even on new parts.  I find
that the pinning is inconsistent, even on what I would consider good
quality parts.  I usually find that I'm only happy with the jack pinning,
and due to inconsistency I will end up repinning some of those.  I find
that the repetition lever centers and the flange centers seem too loose to
me, as well as being inconsistent, so I usually end up repinning many, if
not most, of those.  I also use the 6-8 gram number at the drop screw
point.  I would also add, that while adding some friction to the rep lever
center seems to improve repetition, you can go overboard.  A little
increase in friction seems to help repetition, while a large increase
doesn't seem to improve it further, and in my experience will negatively
affect the checking on a soft blow.

Phil

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration