Renner repetition springs

Sat, 15 May 2004 12:48:26 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>David Love asked: "Does anyone out there actually measure the resistance on
>the balancier and repin for a specific target?"

Not so often... depends on whether I think I have a problem with hammer
weight.  I often find in a heavy hammer I have to  go for both tighter
hammer shank centers and less tight rep spring centers to reduce the
tendency of bobbling in borderline regulation.  The hammer rebounds less
from a tight rep lever on soft play this way.

I have one customer in particular who has this reallly difficult
technique to regulate for. He wants letoff at as close as is humanly
possible to get the sofftest of pianisimos possible.... almost like what
you can get with a clavichord.....  but at the same time he wants no
bobbling.... cute eh ??

The best I have been able to do for him is to increase hammer friction,
minimize rep lever centerpin friction, lower rep spring strength, and
minimize jack center friction.