stripped pedal bracket holes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 16 May 2004 00:03:47 -0500

>I actually did this since I was there anyway to evaulate the problem,
>but was concerned about longevity. (BTW, the owner is super nice, and
>would be totally understanding if another repair would be required, say,
>two years in the future. So, if it seems the shoe pegs will work well,
>we'll leave it at that.)
>
>Not having had experience with this particular situation, I wanted to
>get the list's opinions.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Formsma

Hi John,
I think it will be a good long term fix. Screws don't typically pull out
unless the application is severely stressed, under engineered, or the wood
just isn't up to holding the threads. The glue soaking into the surrounding
wood does at least as much good in this case, reinforcing the anchor, as
the shoe peg does in filling the gap. This isn't a high stress application,
so the most likely reason the screws stripped in the first place is
improper installation. I'd guess some combination of too soft wood, and/or
too large a pilot hole, and/or, pre-stripping with a power driver on
installation is the reason for the failure. My call is, you done good.

Ron N