Wurli growing action brackets?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 16 May 2004 15:37:18 -0400

We just went through this. Below are the basics from a few recent posts. =
If you want more, there is tons in the archives.

Terry Farrell

> > Would somebody give me a description of what a growing action =
bracket
> is?
> > Could that be what is causing a couple of YC grands I work on to be
> > constantly out of regulation?
> >
> > Dean
> >
> > Dean May

> hTo: deanmay@pianorebuilders.com; Pianotech
> Subject: Re: Wurli growing action brackets?
>
> The first symptom that I have seen is blocking hammers. The metal =
action
> brackets have swelled and you will waste your time to try to regulate.
> Norm Barrett
> Memphis chapter
>
> Dean,
> Norm is right on with his post. Another clue is that the let off
> dowels (Young Chang nomenclature?) will be falling off the threads =
from
> trying to adjust-compensate for the blocking hammers.
> Checking can be way out of whack also.
> The brackets though dimensionally unstable will look just fine.
> No cracking or any other visual abnormalities.
> Tom Driscoll

Ditto for everything mentioned so far. There are several other good
indicators of this problem also. One is 88 gouges (front to back) in the
bottom face of the pinblock from the drop screws. Or, wait another year =
or
two and you can find out how to remove the keybed from the piano so that =
you
can get the action out. Or, maybe an even easier way is to wait an
additional couple of years and, if you're lucky, the stack will grow up =
the pinblock bottom, the brackets will continue to grow, and the =
brackets
will eventually self-implode (shatter) - then the action returns to a =
state
where it is fairly easy to remove from the action cavity - at this stage =
you
will not have any additional questions about whether you have a bracket
problem.

Just joking about Mr. Glen's email stuff - but the point is that if =
let-off
is getting closer to the strings, etc., you have growing action =
brackets.
Contact him and you will find him great guy and very helpful. He will =
send
you a kit with the brackets, instructions, forms for labor =
reimbursement,
etc.

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20