Finishing ivories

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 17 May 2004 15:20:54 +0200

Dear list,

I am pretty proud of my latest ivory tops cleaning, bleaching, gluing,
shaping and buffing job.  Though, I would like to get closer to expert
professionnal result.  At the end, the ivories look quite nice, but
there are still some scratches visible (not tangible) in it.  Who could
help me imporve my process ?  Here it is :

I unglue the existing ivories with a damp cloth, an iron and a sharp
knife.  Works fine, without damaging the wood.
I put the ivories in boiling water with detergent, to get them rid of
glue and other dirtynesses.  Works very good, as long as you control the
timing.
I rince them and dry them in an oven at medium low temperature, watching
for the moment they start to curl, and then turn them around, and watch
again until the moment they are flat again.  Great.
I put them under an UV neon light and spray some 30% oxygenated water on
them, now and then.  After one day and one night, they look white enough
for me.
I glue them back on the keys with cement and solid copper clamps
(difficult : the ivories tend to move on the key when pressed in the
clamps, even when and the ivories and the wood is carved).
I shape the length and the curves with a 400 grit sandpaper glued to a
straight piece of wood.  This works fine.
I sand the ivory surface with 240 grit paper, to try and make a good
level joint between the two pieces of ivory on the key.  This doesn't
work well : you can still feel the joint even after huge sanding.  I
stop sanding before I get the feeling that I am going too far, that is,
removing too much stuff and gettind clearly destructive.  Yet you still
feel the joint.  No good.  (Ideas ?)
I sand down the grits until 800.  Here: ok but ivory surface seems to
tend not to be perfectly plane, so not all the surface gets sanded.
Again, should I sand that much that everything is plane ?
I then use a cotton buffing wheel with finishing composition, at fairly
high speed.  This gives some gloss, but there appear and remain
scratches that you can hardly feel but clearly see when looking at the
keys in front of daylight.
I feel my results are good but inferior to dedicated professionnal
ones.  Is there a chance that I could improve my skill on this ?

Thanks for any idea.

Stéphane Collin.