Alfred Dolge would smile upon us

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 10:29:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2004 10:18:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
antares@euronet.nl writes:
> We need to learn again to work with this wonderful felt. As Dale said=20
> it : we should actually only dope these hammers to accentuate some=20
> percussiveness, not to "totally fill the tub and throw the babies in".
> This is an interesting period where we are again offered felt made=20
> with great craftsmanship and artistry.
> Alfred Dolge would smile upon us but he is probably busy with other=20
> things
>
> Andr=E9 Oorebeek
       Andre
  Thank you so much for the above clear statement. This is what I've been=20
trying to convey about my voicing of the Ronsen hammer. They don't require a=
 tub=20
of any thing to add a bit of tonal change. Same goes of the Isaac hammer &=20
more recent Stwy hammer, but the latter is still hearsay till I prove it mys=
elf.
   Many people simply install the Ronsen Hammer& let the sound develop as=20
it's played in. (including me )
   Interesting things happen to the consistency of the hammer felt in use=20
from the forces exerted on it. The effect of hitting the string I think does=
 more=20
than pack the top which increases higher partial content but the felt starts=
=20
taking on a new shape or dynamic internal movement. I can prove none of this=
=20
but myself & other have speculated about this for years.
   Just another piece of the puzzle.
   Another interesting facet of this discussion as I think it thru is that=20
I've used 4 different felts all treated the same way by Ray at Ronsen & each=
=20
though treated the same way in the pressing have had slightly different tona=
l=20
characteristics.  May I suggest Internal friction's of the felt Stephen B?
 One of the felts I liked most was the American felt co. felt. Its a very=20
limp feeling felt, very soft to the touch in sheet form but gives a good dea=
l of=20
pop on attack & lots of natural sustain even without much juicing.
  The Bacon felt is typically a darker sounding hammer initially & brightens=
=20
fairly quickly with play in & also gives good sustain.
   The Abel or vrg felt is a very good felt for many pianos. A little bit=20
more linear in it's tonal range also exhibits instant music out of the box &=
 a=20
short play in time. It seems to be a very dense felt but hard on Rays hammer=
s.
  This may shed a bit more light on the differences of the felt & wool=20
varieties that are out there.
   Regards,
   Dale