Betsy Ross Spinet

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 20:17:42 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_000C_01C43DDE.56EC7E70
Let's see. Dictionary.com lists three definitions for "novelty".
  1.. The quality of being novel; newness.=20
Hmmmmm. Nope. Not new at all.

    2. Something new and unusual; an innovation.=20

Nope. Not this one either. Unfortunately quite typical and not much of =
an innovation.

    3. A small mass-produced article, such as a toy or trinket.

Now we have something here. Mass-produced, yes. A toy, yes.

Ok, so yes, in some sense it could be thought of as a novelty item, =
although many would argue against it. Don't think too many folks in the =
know would find it terribly desirable. Excellent condition: Maybe $300 =
to $600 in a private sale, more at a dealer. I have absolutely no idea =
who would want to buy such an animal.

I own a Betsy Ross spinet. I got it for free. I put about $50 into it =
and now I have a first class musical regulating table.

Oh yeah, and a couple shelves from the lid and kneeboard, etc.

Bottom line: They are one of many cheap little spinets made back in the =
40s, 50s and 60s. They were built better than some, but still not any =
kind of a real musical instrument.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20