Honky Tonk Tuning, "celeste"

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 06:33:13 -0400

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 01:35:20 -0600
wrote:

>    Yet a real celeste is a sort of mini-upright "piano" that has tone bars
>like a "xylophone", rather than strings.   And each note is only one tone
>bar -- there's no possibility for out-of-tune unisons because there ARE no
>unisons.

That would be a celesta, not a celeste.

The French word celeste means celestial, heavenly, divine, etc.  It is also
a type or class intentionally detuned organ stops, as D.L. Bullock
described.
No doubt a reference to the ethereal atmosphere of old-West saloons.

>    I don't understand the connection between "celeste" and "honky-tonk"

Multiple strings for the same note, out of tune, producing beats v.
multiple pipes for the same note, out of tune, producing beats...
no xylophones metal or otherwise anywhere in sight.

-Mark Davidson (how do you know that's my real name?)