Betsy Ross Spinet

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 08:23:06 -0500

Hey Conrad,

Winter spinets have a special place in my heart.  After great grandpa's old
player piano (my favorite roll--Don't Fence Me In), my folks got a "modern"
piano for me to practice on--a Winter spinet.    I practiced so much they
moved it into my bedroom.
I must admit, it moved easily!  (Speaking of location, location, location.)
:-)

Perhaps I can have fond memories of that piano, because I don't service any
of them now!  ;-)

Barbara Richmond

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: Betsy Ross Spinet

snip

A recent thing happened here to confirm my "no bad piano" philosophy. The
mother of a local piano teacher recently moved to town and brought her old
piano with her. Naturally, the daughter had me go over to attend to the
arrival.

What did I find which had started the piano teacher off on her musical
career??  A WINTER spinet.  There's been lots of bad-mouthing of Winter
spinets and their Ĉolian brethren on this list over the years. Well
deserved, too.  I find it hard to say that they have no redeeming value if
they are a springboard to a musical career, or even if they only offer the
opportunity to have live music in the home.

Consumer oriented/value priced/el cheapo pianos do have their value, but
that same "good" piano would be bad in a concert setting.  As the realtors
would say, location, location, location...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.