PDA- questions on upgrading

dm.porritt@verizon.net dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 8:48:11 -0500

Tom:

For the work you're planning to do I don't think that extra speed would be any big deal.  However, you might check with Dean about the Dell unit.  The last I heard both RCT and TuneLab were recommending NOT using a Dell as there is a BIOS problem that affects the tuning programs.  I'm sure this information is probably on their web sites.

I'm using an IPAQ with a 266mh processor and 64 megs of memory.  I run TuneLab Pocket, have all my customers (>3000) and my entire calendar on it.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my milage, and several other spreadsheet files. I also have Acrobat reader installed.  I still have tons of space left and I haven't yet purchased (haven't felt the need) an expansion memory chip.

dave
From: Tompiano@aol.com
Date: 2004/05/20 Thu AM 06:48:59 CDT
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: PDA- questions on upgrading

List,
I'm in the market to upgrade from my small Palm Pilot to a much larger
capacity unit. I'm looking at the new Dell PDAs. The question I have as is with
regard to hrtz speed. I'm trying to visualize (practically speaking) the
difference in performance of 400 hrtz vs 612 hrtz. In a home computer with
multifunctions occurring, the difference in performance is a no-brainer. But on a handheld
I trying to justify the need for the additional speed. I guess if one were to
be playing video type clips it would be understandable. But I'm thinking of
running Reyburns RCT, along with my entire database.  I'm interested in those
using the Ipaqs and the likes who using their devices to the hilt. My quandary
is needed performance, quality of performance vs battery life needed to
support such a big platform.
By the way the wave of PDAs are up to 612 hrtz with 128 mgs of memory. Pretty
impressive!
Tom Servinsky

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts