Betsy Ross Spinet

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:42 EDT

Years ago I was privy to some research done by one of the piano manufacturers
and the MTNA.  Their research showed that the attrition rate of students on
old upright pianos and spinets over 30 years old was about 80% and the
attrition rate of students who started lessons on new pianos was about 20%.  I no
longer have any evidence that this was accurate and one could question the
findings given the possible bias by the piano company and teachers.  You could also
speculate on the commitment by the parents to keep their children practicing if
they had made the monetary investment of a new piano. All in all I think the
results had some real validity.  The problem arises when the student has a
piano that is so far removed from the quality of the teacher's piano.  It also
becomes an issue when certain musical requirements are made beyond counting and
basic dynamics. It is really difficult to create a legato line using a piano
with a retarded decay rate. And nearly impossible to play staccato notes on old
uprights with inadequate damping and overall ringing.  The results from the
piano manufacturer's standpoint is that if teachers would recommend new pianos
then they would keep students longer.  I really can't argue much with this
line of reasoning given the really horrible pianos that students have purchased
on a teacher's recommendation.