spinet

Thu, 20 May 2004 23:48:04 +0200

KENNETH FINLAYSON wrote:

> A spinet is an obsolete instrument, smaller than an harpsichord,
> sounded by a quill plectrum. It comes from the Latin SPINA, a thorn.

Gee.... how appropriate !

Looking further I see that the word Spinet evolved further to include
the "et" tag to denote a association of "end" or "rear"..... or in the
Albanian / Greek tradisjon "ass" .  Many languages funtion this way
understandably, constructing new words with double meaning out of
earlier words from mother or root languages, and the combination of
greek and latin is not uncommon by anymeans.

> To say that a small piano is a spinet, is wrong. Spinet-like, or
> spinet-shaped would be correct.

I am not sure I agree given the inquiries made into the history of the
word thus far.

> That's like saying my girlfriend Gaye, is a Lesbian, and she is far
> from it; or that the great composer and author John Gay, was homosexual.

Actually... it strikes me that saying that these pianos are a  "Thorn in
the Ass" is quite representative of their natural state. :)

> Kenny Finlayson, RPT

RicB