Relocating Knuckles

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 21:21:59 -0700

Dale asked: "With the right jig this job can't take 2 hours plus
rollers. I've used a band saw but wasn't happy with the results. Any clues.
I have
5 sets!!!
  Why invent a new learning curve if someone already has one"
  Dale Erwin

Dale,
You answered your own question!<G> With the "Right" jig and the bandsaw it's
a piece of cake.<G> 1. Pop off the knuckles. 2. Insert shanks w/flanges,
(use them for the accuracy point), in the Right jig and clean the olde
slots. 3. Cut strips of appropriate size to fill the olde slots. (Dimension
to max. dimensions on the table saw/sander thingee.) 4. Fill the olde slots
with the "lathes" gluing with appropriate glue. 5. Re-set the "Right Jig" to
cut the new slots 6. Install the knuckles. TA DA! A couple of hours Max. I
know, that makes the shanks more expensive. But, these are shanks that are
essentially free, because you already replaced them and the client paid for
the new shanks. So, you spend a couple of hours modifying these. Now they
are just as good as new, since you've also repinned to specs, in this
process. Put em on another rebuild and charge appropriately. (I personally
would discount them a bit from what a "proper dimension" set from RENNER,
(you mispelled it...<G>..sheesh, now I'm the spelling police as well.),
would cost. This will undoubtedly will make a client happy, costwise.<G>
Win/Win, buddy.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police