Best piano in your world.

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Sat, 22 May 2004 07:52:00 EDT

Let's talk about pianos.
What if we do a little Dr. Phil type exercise to reawaken our tonal minds.
For those of you who are European, Dr. Phil is just like Jerry Springer except
the people seem much nicer and they come fully dressed.

Let's all think about the one piano that you have seen/heard/tuned that
really knocked your socks off.  The one piano that you wanted to implant the sound
in your head.  The one that you hoped the little old lady who owned it would
leave it to you because you were the only one who really appreciated how truly
amazing it was.

Mine was a very old 7ft Ibach, that lived in a dark apartment on the upper
west side of New York.  It had an elegant case, beautiful rosewood with finely
turned legs and handsome brasses.  It wasn't old enough to have a Vienna action
but old enough to pre date WWII.
The length of decay was just astounding. It had a round, beautiful tone that
was just there with no sound of the hammer impact.  In the smallish room it
seemed overpowering but had a sweetness to the sound that I had never
experienced before.  Maybe the fact that it was so different from the powerful piano
sound that I had been accustomed to had something to do with it.  Maybe it was
the unexpected surprise of finding such a glorious piano hidden away that made
it seem so fantastic. After tuning it I just had to play a bit, embarrassed
that the owner was probably an accomplished pianist.  I played a little Mozart.
Just enough to know that it would be the best I would ever sound on a piano.
Your turn. TP