OT totals for today

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 22 May 2004 21:05:29 EDT

List (or what's left of it)

All this discussion about how OT's are vital to the list and it's our right,
blah blah blah... Well...

Today there are 17 OT posts in my mailbox.   12 of them, count 'em TWELVE are
from TWO individuals who in my opinion (more on that later) are turning this
list into internet SPAM.

One individual posted THREE responses to the same post (bring 'em on OT) and
another individual also felt compelled to respond to this same post THREE
times in addition to FOUR other OT posts today alone. (Seven in one day.   This
same individual posted NOTHING about pianos today.)

Someone should do the math and I think you'd find that a majority of the OT
crap on this list emanates from very few people.

And...these are the same people who say it's their right to post OTs and it
keeps the list vital.   Well, to prove a point, why don't we all post about 6
OT posts each day?   Will this make the list a better or a worse place for
piano technicians to discuss pianos?

Every now and then I can understand that a discussion might lead to a topic
that is OT, and that in the sake of comaraderie, one might find one's self
writing about something other than pianos.

But how does one convince one's self that it is appropriate to just BLATHER
ON about things that are not pertinent to the list.   SEVEN OT posts from one
individual and FIVE OTs from another, totalling twelve in all.   It's
ridiculous.

Yes, I posted a response to that thread, too.   One response.   I didn't feel
the need to post three on the same topic.    But go ahead and flame me for
it.

After all, I'm nobody.   For about 4 years, I have read the list religiously,
learning things I could never learn in a book.   I have alot of respect for
some contributors to the list and I'd like to thank them for everything they've
given me and the list over the   years.   I haven't contributed much myself
and for that I probably have very little to say about what the list has become.
  I haven't volunteered much info over the years because I don't feel I have
anything to say that someone else couldn't say better.

I think it's time for me to unsubscribe.   (I know, no one cares.   Really,
this is just another OT post. But why not?   Today, there are 20 OTs vs. 27 on
pianos.   If you can't beat 'em...)

I lament what the list has become.   It's so full of crap that it saddens me.
  Yeah, I can delete the OT posts.   Thanks for labelling them.   But I don't
feel comfortable here anymore.   With people refusing to sign their own
names, signing with nicknames, feeling it's appropriate to rant, rant, rant
relentlessly.   Relentlessly.   Really:   relentlessly.   Even if I delete all the
OTs I still miss the lack of community, comaraderie, respect and purpose that I
used to feel on the list.

To the few individuals who have taken over the list for their own agendas,
give it a break.   Please.   Do it for the rest of you who stay on.

Sincerely,
Why sign?   It's not protocol anymore.