epoxy treatment on soundboards

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 00:45:15 EDT

List,

After a long break I am returning to the list.  I have a number of questions
which have been bouncing around the empty spaces in my skull and it is time
for them to come out.  So here comes the first:

Recently I have had the opportunity to meet Mr. Fazioli and play some of his
pianos and this has prompted a number of questions.  In the course of my
conversations with him he described the finishing process for his soundboards.  Our
conversation was held during the grand opening of a Fazioli dealer here in
Chicago so the noise level made communication difficult in addition to certain
language issues.  However I did gather he uses a particularly hard/water
resistant sealer on his boards, the specifics of this material were beyond what we
could get into at the time.  Subsequent to that conversation I have talked to
David Graham, who is servicing these pianos (lucky dog) and have learned that
they are remarkably stable and need very little tuning work.  Now keep in mind
the show rooms are located in the Fine Arts Building in Chicago, which is
nearly 100 years old and the climate control system is not much newer.  David's
report is not what one would normally expect about brand new pianos in such an
environment.

Which got me thinking about Del Fanderich's epoxy treatment for old
soundboards.  I have used this protocol on every non-replaced soundboard which comes
through the shop.  The usual result is a board with a lot of power for an old
board and a very stable tuning once things have settled down.  I mean very
stable with little reaction to climate changes.

Mr. Fazioli explained the purpose for his soundboard finishing method was to
seal the wood from the atmosphere to prevent the usual tuning problems.

Finally the question: Has anybody used epoxy to seal a new board from the
atmosphere?  Has anybody used anything else which accomplished the same
objective?  Since one of the features which is often cited for using spruce in
soundboards is its stiffness to weight ratio, is the added stiffness from the epoxy a
good thing or bad? (I know it is good on old boards, but what about new?)

For those unfamiliar with this method, I use a water white, penetrating, very
low viscosity epoxy from System Three.

I know I asked more than one question, I have a whole lot more where these
came from.

Thanks,

Andrew Remillard
2417 Maple Ave