Polyester Repair

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 22:55:18 -0700

Hi, Jim.  I do a lot of polyester repairs.  I've not had this experience that you describe.  I don't know why it would cloud up later.  Did you do any repairs to the area, or are you just trying to buff up the area?  It is possible that some repairs were done with something other than polyester.  That could mess up the whole thing.  If burn-in stick was used, you'll have a hard time getting it buffed out, since the stick is much softer than poly.  If it was lacquered, your buffer will remove the lacquer.  Is it black, or clear coated wood veneer?  I don't think sanding and buffing again will make it better.  If it's black, you could just spray black lacquer over the whole thing (filling any holes, etc) and buff it out as necessary.  If it's clear, you can seal it with shellac, and then topcoat it with lacquer.  If you have any questions, feel free to email me.  Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: James Kelly
To: pianotech
Sent: 05/25/2004 7:55:37 PM
Subject: Polyester Repair

Greetings.... I have been trying to repair the leg of a Samick Grand that was damaged in a move. It looks like a repair was attempted in the past to several areas on the top part of the leg just under the rim. I tried before and after compound as well as Mezerna using a power buffer. It looked great- nice and shiny but after about an hour it clouded up and looked dull. Does anyone have an idea of the cause of this and what I should do ? Perhaps I need to sand the entire thing with progressive grits and then compound and buff.
The finish is definitely polyester.

Jim Kelly
Associate Member, Plametto SC Chapter PTG
Pawleys Island, SC 29585

James Kelly
jkelly1722@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.