Tuner's Knot--NOT!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:03:10 EDT

Hi all,

My last job of the day yesterday was a not-so-long-ago refinished, re-strung
M and H AA.  It was sitting in a room that could have doubled as a sauna.  No
window coverings on the huge windows, direct afternoon sun for hours.  The
side of the piano that faced the window was hot to the touch.

I gave the owner a brief lecture about the importance of getting her piano
into a more temperate climatic situation, then set to work on a 30 cent pitch
raise.  First note, A0:  kinda tight feeling pin, yank, THUD!  Broken, right at
the pin.  Great opportunity to splice it with the knot I practiced so
diligently for so many hours.

I tried for about twenty minutes to get the leader(all I had was 21 1/2
string to use, and the core of the broken string was probably around 24), but I
could not get it into position so that I could interface the two ends properly.
The thick wire was pretty hard to work with, because of lack of flexibility,
but the main problem was that there was so little space in that little corner
of the piano.

Any ideas for making this repair a little easier?  I'm certain that it could
be done.  I will be ordering a new string, however, and given that the strings
are relatively new, that will be the best fix.

Why the original broke is a mystery to me.  It seems likely that the stringer
bent it one too many times while installing it.

Input and advice?

Thanks,

Dave Stahl