Sticky ebony...

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 08:18:58 -0700

John said: "On a 1925 Steinway L the ebony keytops become sticky/tacky when
the
humidity and temperature rise to high levels. I have been looking
around for a solution and haven't found one. It is quite annoying to
play on warm/humid days! I'm not sure if they have been refinished.

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution?"

- John Silva

John,
Sounds like someone decided to "finish" the ebony with Linseed Oil! I'd take
all the sharps off of the piano and give the ebony a thorough bath with
mineral spirits/paint thinner. If it's something else, all bets are off.'
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I