PVC-E Glue for Bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:01:38 -0700

.

            I first experimented with steam removal and the glue bond
released quite easily.

            Just don't tell Joe Garrett <G>

            Tom Driscoll

 I already know!<G>
See my previous post.
 I hope I never have to remove those damned ones you did!<G> PVC-E will
eventually harden, but it takes a reallllllllly lonnnnnng tiiiiiimmmme! Once
it has set it is more difficult to remove than Hide Glue. The real down side
is that while the glue is in it's somewhat flexible/non hard state, it
allows the bushing(s) to move. This causes the bushing to wear out quicker.
I've done experiments on this and have found this to be true. I currently
use PVC-E to attach keytops and I've found it to be a real pain, as it's
messy and if you make a mistake<G>, it's really a bear to undo. I use it
because the darned "contact cement" breaks down after a few years and I
don't like the look that I get from Customers in this regard. My best advice
is learn to use Hide Glue and you'll learn to like it's attributes and the
finished product that stands for your work quality.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I