Reversing Bass String Was: Tuner's Knot--NOT!

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Wed, 26 May 2004 18:51:44 +0200

Hi Mark,

I had the opportunity to do exactly what you're referring to just a =
month ago.
This piano I was going to tune had string that broke at the pin which =
was a mere inch from the agraffe. Hardly any room to move. I noticed =
that the remaining length of core string was perhaps just long enough to =
carry the splice knot behind the bridge if I reversed the string, and =
the length of string beyond the bridge was more than long enough to =
reach the tuning pin and go around it three times. This way I managed to =
put the string back without making a knot in the speaking length (I also =
hate that sound!!!) As far as I could tell, the string sounded just like =
its neighbours.
Now, if there is a good reason why this should not be done, I hav'nt =
heard it yet. If anyone out there knows of one, please enlighten me.

To Joe G.
Know of a place I can visualize all these knots with the funny names? I =
make my knots by folding both ends (U shaped), then I slightly upturn =
the end of the U's, turn over one piece of string in relation to the =
other and slide the two pieces into each other, whatever that's called. =
I then trim the extra wire. Et voila!

Peace,

Jean-Jacques Granas
Warsaw