Relocating Knuckles

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 27 May 2004 05:48:17 +1000

Phil and all,

>One more question before this thread dies.  What size slot do people
>cut?  Or in other words, how much clearance do you allow for the
>knuckle core?
>
>Phil Ford

We use a 2 mm slotting cutter to provide a slight interference fit
with the knuckle tongue. The original slot is filled prior to cutting
the new one. With only 20 + mm distance between hammer center and the
jack/knuckle contact, it doesn't take much of an error to make a
significant difference in the note-to-note hammer/key ratio.

We use a small milling machine for this work. The head can be rotated
to any angle, so we set the chuck axis parallel to the table so that
the jig can be mounted horizontally, and packed up to enable
appropriate XYZ adjustment between the cutter and the work-piece.

When doing this work, its worth checking that your machine used
doesn't have axial float. A 2 mm slotting cutter fitted to a machine
with 0.25 mm axial float results in slots which vary from 2 to 2.25
mm. Our mill has a cap screw style lock on the rack and pinion quill,
so its a simple matter to lock it.

I second one of your earlier post Phil. There seem to be regular
occurrences where technicians rebuild grand actions with off the
shelf parts which are inappropriate to the job at hand. Often one
part of a poor-action-geometry fix will involve relocating the
knuckle slot to 17 mm from 15.5. We've reset quite a few of these
where the parts were practically new.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY