Tuner's Knot--NOT!

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 19:18:05 -0700

Ron, et alii,

That's amazing about the "Tuner's Knot" being a thief's knot (which
supposedly has no useful purpose than to alert you to some thievery
going on). I had to tie the knot in rope to discover that it is the same
knot... but with a difference. The bitter ends come out of the bend
differently. If you tie a tuner's knot in rope, you'll have to loosen
the knot, rearrange the ends and retighten to make it look like a faux
reef knot.

I don't know if anyone actually ties a Granny Knot when doing string
splices. It seems like it would be more trouble than a square knot.

Tom Cole, erstwhile swabbie