For your Listening Pleasure - tuning thoughts

Thu, 27 May 2004 12:36:04 +0200

Hi Bernhard.

You are the third person I've run into that lay claims to this tuning.
Evidently a couple fellows from the states also thought of this idea
independently of your own publications about 15-20 years back, and
another a few years later.  Myself I was unaware of anyone having done
this before and developed my own P-12ths tuning with the help of Tune
Lab 97 whilst learning a good deal about tuning theory that I had
skipped over earlier in life.

While I am happy to acknowledge any prior invention on the part of
yourself and anyone else, the fact that this actually has been thought
of independently and successfully (very successfully I might add) used
in different places in different times strikes me as significant with
regards to its usefulness and viability....  A good thing is often
pondered by several different minds in different places.

What I really like about it is its easy of implementation from an ETD
standpoint... and... if you get the knack of it... from an aural
standpoint as well. Kind of redunditates all these extremely fancy
methods of contriving a tuning curve.

In any case... I wouldnt call you crazy... in fact I cant see how anyone
who knows enough about tuning theory to be able to run some basic
numbers around could avoid seeing the basic sense in the approach.
Clean as a whistle as it were.

Cheers
RicB