Verituner and Pitch Raises

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 08:28:48 -0500

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending $1500 for the Verituner
or other needed shop tools and supplies. (I'm quite comfortable with
aural tuning, but if I get an ETD, it's going to be a Verituner.)

For those out there who use the Verituner, here's a question about the
pitch raises it calculates.

The Verituner sounds like it can calculate a pitch raise and get the
piano really close in one pass.

If so, I can definitely see a time-saving advantage of being able to
raise Mrs. Jones' spinet 100 cents in one pass, then come back in a
month and do a tuning after things have settled down. Is it that good,
or are two passes usually necessary as in aural tuning?

How quickly can you do a pitch raise with the Verituner? By comparison,
I can pitch correct in 15 minutes or so, but I couldn't leave the piano
in that condition. Even if it took 30-40 minutes for a Verituner pitch
raise, it would be less time than I currently need for a pitch
raise/fine tuning.

Has the Verituner made your working life much, much easier; slightly
easier; or about the same? Has it become a crutch?

Any other thoughts?

John Formsma