Verituner and Pitch Raises

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 10:35:34 -0500

David,

> One hundred cents would be asking a lot of any machine.  The pitch
raise
> function is really designed to give a fairly accurate tuning when the
piano
> is moderately flat or sharp, I would say less than 20 cents.

So, on a Kawai RX-2 like I did yesterday - everything was sharp: tenor
was 12-15¢, treble was c. 10¢ tapering down to 5¢ in the upper treble. I
tuned to A441 in one pass, tuning the entire middle section first, then
treble, then bass. It took about an hour and turned out great. Would the
VT be able to do a good fine tuning to A441 in one pass in this
situation?

> You can select your preferences for how much overpull there will be as
you are
> tuning.  The machine doesn't really "calculate" on overall  tuning,
rather,
> it measures each note as you go and gives you a percentage overpull
for
> that note depending on how you program it.

OK, so in "Coarse" mode you're only measuring pitch, not partials.

> I would count on at least 2 passes for a rough tuning of a piano at
100 cents off.
> A pitch raise that requires accurate unison tuning (if you want to
leave the piano after you are done with one pass) will take as long as
it takes you to tune them aurally.

So, really, it sounds like aural tuning in that you get closer and
closer until you do the fine tuning. Except that the Verituner reduces
the gray matter activity. <g>

Thanks - you've been most helpful.

John Formsma