Tung Oil vs Linseed Oil

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 22:40:25 -0700

All,
For those that haven't used either, I submit some of my own experiences. In
the distant past I tried Linseed oil for various finishes and found that it
takes forever to "harden". And will never really "dry". If it is exposed to
high humidity, it gets sticky. Yuck!  I'd NEVER use it to finish sharps!
Tung Oil, on the other hand, is a finish I use on my Very Expensive Main
Bench Top. Hide glue and such does not stick to it. So, if I drip, (and who
doesn't?), I just let it set up a bit and pop it off. When my benchtop
starts looking a bit Skuzzy I clear everything off and have at it with hot
soapy water and cleaning rage and/or a plastic scrubber. Once I've got it
nice and clean and it's dry, I apply an even coating of Tung Oil and let it
set for about a day. After that I just wipe off the excess Tung Oil and go
back about my business. My benchtop is rock maple, so it really looks great
after I've done this. (warm and fuzzy feelings, etc.) I also use it on the
wooden handles of the many tools I've made over the years. It gives the
handle a really nice feel that is NOT slippery. (again, warm and fuzzy
feelings when using the tool!<G> The Tung Oil I use, is made by Hope's. I
have "finished" several sets of sharps this way, and like the look and the
feel.
Hope this helps a bit.
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police