what do you call it?

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 28 May 2004 00:46:20 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Formsma" <john@formsmapiano.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:06 PM
Subject: what do you call it?

> I need some nomenclature help for a very non-critical item that has
> gotten me curious since I repaired one today.
>
> It's the small piece of wood in Japanese vertical pianos on the back
> side of the top front panel. It's function is to rotate toward the side
> panel over a pin and it holds the top front panel in place.
>
> I've looked twice in Piano Parts and Their Functions, but didn't see it,
> and I like to learn as many "official" parts names as possible.
>
> This was a Kawai - Yamaha probably has a different name for it.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> John Formsma
>
> P.S. If Jim Bryant and I had our way, it would be called a "thingee,"
> but that doesn't look good on an invoice. <g>

    Front panel latch or top frame latch, I would imagine.  Probably each
manufacturer has a different term.
    It's NOT a turnbuckle.  On Yamahas, the plastic height-adjusting device
for the middle pedal's "practice strip", or "mute strip" is a turnbuckle.
One also finds turnbuckles on guy wires for antennae towers, large
chain-link gates, etc.
        -David Nereson, RPT