Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 29 May 2004 07:05:28 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Davidson" <mark.davidson@mindspring.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 7:01 PM
Subject: Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

> David Nereson wrote:
> >I recommend learning to tune FIRST BY EAR
> >ALONE, then consider an electronic tuning
> >aid after you know what you're doing.
> >Otherwise the chances of its becoming a
> >crutch and your not developing your ear are
> >far greater, in my opinion.
>
> Well, I don't want to get into the argument about who is
> a "real" tuner and who isn't, but I think ETDs are a
> fantastic learning tool when used thoughtfully and judiciously.

    I use one regularly myself now, but tuned by ear for 20 years.  By
"real" tuner, I meant a tuner who doesn't HAVE to have an ETD with him/her
in order to tune the piano.  I just see some novices become dependent on
watching the display instead of listening to how it SOUNDS, which is what's
important in music.  I'm not against using it as a learning tool;  I'm just
saying that how the piano sounds is more important than what a particular
display happens to read.
    --David Nereson