Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Sat, 29 May 2004 11:10:57 -0700

I think it depends on how you use the tool.  Even the most sophisticated
machines don't allow you to stop listening altogether--or they shouldn't.
There are still many things that must be confirmed by ear, degree of
stretch or style, smooth compromises of octaves and thirds in trouble areas
of the piano, etc..  Having a measuring device to confirm what you think
you are hearing in terms of various sizes of octaves, slighlty narrow or
wide intervals, etc., can be very useful when you are learning.  Tuning
unisons is done by ear anyway and that's where hammer technique and aural
skills combine for instant feedback.  That's where most beginners should
practice anyway, in my opinion.  You won't be able to tune a slightly
narrow fifth if you can't tune a solid unison.  But a good machine will
give you instant measurement of those subtly altered intervals to tell you
if you are right or wrong.  If you have the opportunity to work side by
side with a skilled aural tuner then an ETD may be unnecessary, but if you
are mostly working alone (as most of us do), I think an ETD that makes
direct interval measurement by dialing in coincident partials can be
extremely useful.  I like the SATIII for its ease in use for this type of
thing, though other machines may better suit you as your skill level
develops.  If you fall into the habit of not listening, then you are right,
the device can become a crutch that inhibits the development of aural
skills, though it is really the not listening that is the inhibitor rather
than the machine.  As long as those who are learning use it in a
disciplined way, I think the right device put to good use can speed up the
learning process.  Plus, they're fun.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net