Upright Shank Length

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 29 May 2004 19:38:29 -0400

At 5:36 PM -0400 5/29/04, Jon Page wrote:
>Is there a general rule as to a limit of what is practicable for a
>length of shank,
>aside from fitting to the strings. Is there a ratio of (shank
>length)/(jack length)
>or some such?

Weight won't be the issue with this ratio change as the HW for the
most part carried by the hammerbutt center. The blow/dip could be,
although you could certainly check this out in advance. (I actually
haven't measured this, but the Yamaha verticals which have an upward
sweep of the tenor strike line don't seem to have their dip bent out
of shape by this.)