P12 in Tunelab Pro

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 19:35:30 -0700

Bernhard, I did not mean to discredit you by referring to the tuning as =
"the Brekne Perfect 12th tuning" I have no problem referring to this =
simply as the Perfect 12th Tuning.=20

I'm not concerned right now in the "new musical system" aspect of your =
intellectual property. There are powerful "public domain" reasons for =
the perfect 12th tuning. It's a very logical way to deal with =
inharmonicity, for example. And in practice it appears that the bass =
cannot be tuned in perfect 3:1 twelfths, but some compromise needs to be =
made, and that is what we are trying to determine using TuneLab as a =
tool. I would think the Stopper Perfect 12th Tuning would insist on pure =
3:1 matches right down to A0. Does your system address the peculiarities =
of inharmonicity in the piano?

> I've worked out the method of tuning the Brekne Perfect 12th tuning=20

  Jason,

  I published the perfect 12th tuning in euro piano 3/1988 as "Stopper =
tuning - equal temperament on the base of pure dudecimos".=20
  The base for this tuning is a 12 pure 12th circle closing with 19 =
Octaves plus pythagorean comma what itself describes a new musical =
system.

  I did not found any earlier publications relating to this =
tuning/musical system.

  BTW it may also be said that the pure fifth tuning was invented by the =
french Serge Cordier and not by Mr. Coleman as often stated here and on =
many internet sources.

  regards,

  Bernhard Stopper