P12 in Tunelab Pro

Mon, 31 May 2004 00:59:35 +0200

Bernhard Stopper wrote:

>Ric wrote:
>
>> think also, if you look closely enough at both this simple and
>>straightforward rendering of a P-12ths tuning concept, and for that
>>matter Dr. Colemans far more well founded and theoretically based P-5ths
>>temperament have significant differences then the <<originals>>  you cite.
>>

>What now? simple and straightforward? or need to be well founded and
>theoretically based?
>significant differences to what? have you ever read the book of Serge
>Cordier or my article?

Lets keep things separated here.  My P12th rendering is the simple and
straightforward thing.  Coleman know a bit more about what he is doing.
Two different things.

The dispute over Cordiers / Coleman has been up before and I dont
particularly want to go there.

As far as my P12th rendering is concerned.... it is a simple
specification for how to set up a tuning and has been repeatedly
described in terms of using Tunelab to create a base curve for a
<<temperament 12th>>.  What little I have seen of your article seems to
take the whole subject off into a far more complicated direction.

In anycase... I had no idea of your paper, nor of Bill Ballard earlier
publication or of other writings on the matter when I came up with the
idea on my own a couple years ago.  And to be frank... I couldnt care
less about "earning merits" as you say over the matter.  You can have
all the credit over the matter you wish as far as I am concerned.

>For me an equal tempered tuning is enoughly described when referring it to
>an equal spaced pure interval like a pure 12th or pure 5th or pure 8th.

Well... FWIW.. the P12th tuning I describe has specifically D3's 3rd
partial and A4's fundamental equal, with A3 set as a perfect 6:3 octave
to A4.  Then sampling the resulting 3rd partials of  A3 and A4 I use
Robert Scotts quadratic interpolation to create the spacing between the
19 semitones.

Your generalization above kinda sweeps over just about anything anyone
ever coulda thought of, so I suppose its hard to escape being
encompassed by it.

>Inharmonicity is an instrument immanent relativity offset factor that pushes
>every tuning described by its
>generating formula together with the instrument specific inharmonicity curve
>to the individual absolute frequencies.

Wonderful.... but really I think we know this already.

>Ok you could "reinvent" also all historic tunings by calculating them on an
>Excel table or ETD with all inharmonicity related to every
>existing instrument. Nice work and a lot of merits to gain here... ;)

Its ok Bernhard.  You get to be the <<First Guy>>.  I'm plenty happy
knowing I came up with this idea on my own,  which in the end is a very
small pleasure in the greater scheme of things.

Now... if you will excuse me I dont think I want to continue with what
increasingly appears to be silly tangent to this whole subject.

Cheers
RicB