wire coming out of beckett

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 13:30:01 -0500

>In the situation that you describe, it would be my thought, though not
>liking the idea, to let the wire stick through the tuning pin about 1/4"
>so that the wire could be bent over ala cheep spinets from the 60s. I do
>not like the double bend as it makes replacing a broken string much
>harder. But if the old pin is holding fine why replace it when this repair
>will let it hold the new string?
>
>Joe Goss

I use that double bend in every string I replace as a field repair. There
are a couple of reasons. One is insuring the becket doesn't pull out when I
crank it up to pitch. They don't - ever, no matter what shape the pin is
in. Another is that I find it easier to manage the coil during
installation, and insure it's tight after. At least as important to me as
any other reason is that it offers an undeniable visual indication of what
string or strings I have replaced over time. This is useful in the long run
as evidence of overall string condition when we once again talk about
rebuilding. When I, and they, can count a dozen obvious string replacements
without bending over the piano, it makes a point. It is also invaluable
when, not if, I get the call saying that string I replaced last week broke
again. I can go out and point to the one I replaced (with the extra bend),
right next to the freshly broken one (without), and leave no doubt that
this is a brand new self-contained service call with it's own accompanying
fee. End of discussion. While I have had people argue with me that a rusty
old broken string was the one I installed last time (before I started doing
the bent over end), I haven't yet run into anyone idiot enough to insist
that the little bend on the end of the wire (that I can show them on the
string(s) I DID replace), spontaneously evaporated from that dull broken
string. There's still time, and I haven't met everyone yet, but so far so good.

Ron N