Fw: lead waits

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:37:53 -0400

At 5:54 PM -0600 9/3/04, Joe And Penny Goss wrote:
>Any one out there have a set of lead weights that are used in grand
>key leveling?
>If you have a gram scale could you please post me the gram weight of
>one of the critters?

If you really wanted to be accurate abut it, what you'd like is a set
weights graduated to match the weight pressing down on each capstan.
That would mean that the leads on the capstans are pressing down on
them with the same force (gravitational) as do the respective reps
and hammer shanks (ie., the Top Action Weight). And the fronts of the
keys would be supporting the weight of the leveling stick with the
same force, and the individual key heights would more closely
resemble those seen with the top action installed.

To do this, measure the Balance Weight at however many sample points
across the keyboard you think necessary (action fully assembled).
Next, remove the top action, pick a consistent spot to attach the
leveling weight, and trim that weight until it yields the same
Balance Weight as the top action did. The two weights now match. Do
your other samples, and arrived at a tapered scale for the leveling
weights. Trim the remaining weights between these samples.

You now have a set of leveling weights, custom-tailored expressly for
that piano.

Not to put too fine a point on it.