an odd situation

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:39:36 +1000

At 12:07 AM +0200 7/9/04, antares wrote:
>. . . A Steinway D has, according to the=20
>Steinway Service manual (written by Mr Max=20
>Matthias) a key dip of 9.75 mm, but all smaller=20
>models (S-B) have a shallower key dip of 9.50 mm.

Hi Andr=E9,

I've heard this quoted many times and read the=20
myth also, but the Hamburg D's at least are=20
certainly set up with more than 10 mm dip (the=20
very latest instruments may be an exception, I=20
don't know since I haven't regulated any - anyone=20
out there with a comment?). In the early 90's I=20
watched a Hamburg tech, Martin Bagg, set up a D=20
with at least 10.5 mm dip while using a 9.8 mm=20
gauge block. I find it most surprising that a=20
piano manufacturer, which regards itself as=20
fastidious, would publish figures and sell=20
matching gauge blocks, while setting their pianos=20
quite differently.

=46or those who are interested, our new I-rib sound=20
board was glued into the Wangaratta Stein D case=20
yesterday. I'll post with further information=20
once I get more images online.

Best,
Ron O.
--