research: right vs left ear

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:39:52 -0700

We all know about right-handedness and left-handedness, right-eyed and
left-eyed dominance, and the ongoing research about the differences between
the functioning of the left brain vs right brain. Now there is evidence that
the left and right ears are "programmed" differently. “We were intrigued to
discover that the clicks triggered more amplification in the baby's right
ear, while the tones induced more amplification in the baby's left ear,”
suggesting that the left ear, being connected to the right brain hemisphere,
is better at tones/patterns/waves/analog info while the right ear is
designed from birth to specialize in "clicks",  which are
digital/consonants/binary pulses fed to the left brain. See scientific
american:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=0000EC2C-11A4-1142-8
7D683414B7F4945

Do we listen to our tunings more with our left ears?

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans