west system in blocks

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:20:48 -0700

Hi,

At 02:03 PM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
>I tune a piano that had the tuning pin holes swabbed with epoxy. The pins
>are very tight but they jump/snap like crazy making tuning a bit of a
>head-ache. Seems like a last ditch repair.

Using epoxy in pinblocks (in various ways) seems to have had it's major use
~ 30 years ago, at least on the Left Coast.  Off and on, I've followed a
number of pianos so treated, and really cannot remember a single one that
did not have various problems with jumping, snapping, bending, etc....the
real cherry on the whipped cream was the one I was called in on that had a
number of broken pins....(yes, it got a new block...).

That being said, all that was a while ago, and I am sure that there are
better products and better information as to how to use them available now.

Best.

Horace