Control grand volume

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:47:57 -0400

Hi Paul,

When figuring out how to muffle sound, it is important to consider the sound
path.  If you're trying to muffle sound reflectance (e.g. off of a wall), it
is effective to attach foam to the wall.  The sound must travel through the
foam in two directions in order to reflect.  Ideally the foam is somewhat
inelastic (e.g. very mildly crunchy), so that the sound is burned off in the
form of (very minute amounts of) heat.

If, however, you're trying to muffle sound that is passing from one point to
another (e.g. from the piano to the audience), the best means is to create
soft acoustic barriers, across which the acoustic impedance varies
radically.  This is done by adding mass, preferably in an inelastic
material.  Take a lesson from auto manufacturers.  To deaden road noise,
they don't use foam on the bottom of the car.  They use materials such as
heavy felt and tar.

To deaden sound from the piano, try hanging carpet material  or very heavy
blankets on the underside of the piano.  Likewise, reflectance off of the
floor can be deadened with carpet under the piano.  Hint:  Keep the carpet
loose.

Before investing lots of time into any one approach, test your materials.
Just drape a speaker with carpet, surround it with foam, or whatever, and
give it a listen.  If it works for the speaker, it will work for the piano.

Another idea, useful in combination:  Remove the real lid, and make a
substitute lid out of really thick particle board (which is dense and and
inelastic).  "Seal" it to the rim with weather stripping.  On the underside
of the lid, attach carpet material and then "crunchy," acoustic, egg-crate
foam.

Obviously, to vary the volume of the piano quickly (at several times
throughout the service), you'll need to muffle up the piano and
electronically amplify when greater volume is necessary.

I hope some of these ideas are useful.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah